Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Some is better than none

Today is the first day on my don’t-kill-yourself-trying-to-pump plan and, I have to say, I like it. At 8:50 I looked at the clock. Usually, I would immediately start gathering things to take downstairs to the lactation room. But today I just felt relief I didn’t have to. Nine o’clock came and went and I sat at my desk working. It was great!

I even felt relief this morning when I packed my bag. Instead of putting in six bottles (one bottle for each side x 3 pumping sessions), I put in four.

My biggest sigh of relief, though, was when I shut the pump off after 15 minutes. As I said yesterday, I’ve been pumping three times a day, for a total of 1 hour 20 minutes. Today is the first day on my new plan of pumping for 15 minutes twice a day. I know I sound like a broken record, but its just a relief!

Obviously I’ve heard “some breastmilk is better than none!” many times. Its in every new-baby magazine. My opinion has always been that, yes, some breastmilk IS better than none. But ALL breastmilk is better than SOME. If you try hard enough, you can get enough milk for your baby. Some mothers may not have the time, energy, or determination to try hard enough, but I will never be one of those mothers!

Well, I have tried as hard as I can for two months and its just not working. Its time to get on with my life. My daughter is 9 ½ months old. That’s a long time to go without ever having formula! And I’m not weaning her completely. Over half of her milk each day will be breastmilk. And some is better than none!

No comments:

Post a Comment