Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Child Spacing

Meg is 9 months old now and we are thinking about when to have another child. I am two years older than my closest-in-age younger sibling and I have always thought that was perfect spacing. I have always been convinced that is how I would space my children, if possible. Now I'm not so sure. I feel like I just got done being pregnant. The last 9 months have gone by so fast. I wouldn't have to get pregnant for another 5-6 months. I guess that’s a long enough time I might change my mind. But I have a feeling the next 6 months will go by just as fast as the last 9 and I still won't be ready.

Part of the problem is that pregnancy is so long! It’s hard to plan that far in advance. By the time I am "ready" for another child, I probably won't want to wait 9 months! (although I'm sure pregnancy goes much faster when you already have a child than it does with your first) Of course, nothing is guaranteed. We might start trying in August and have trouble getting pregnant. I guess it’s up to God how our children are spaced. But I still think about what I "want". Right now, I'm thinking 2.5-3 years.

This makes Husband happy, as he has always campaigned for 3 years. His closest-in-age sibling is also two years younger and he always thought that was too close. He says his sister infringed on his friends and his activities. Maybe it makes a difference because they were different genders?

What spacing do you like? Do you think most people want to space their kids the same way they and their siblings are spaced? Did your "plan" work out or are your children spaced differently than you intended?


P.S. I do realize its ridiculous that in one paragraph I said 9 months went by so fast and in the next I say its such a long time to wait for a baby to come. But the 9 months of pregnancy and the first 9 months of a baby's life are very different time periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment