Thursday, November 11, 2010

Pregnancy makes me boring, apparently

On Monday, I said the Unisom (diphenhydramine) was helping a little. Oops. Arwen set me straight – there are actually TWO different kinds of Unisom (which makes no sense to me) and I was taking the wrong one.

As an aside, I have to mention that one of the most annoying parts of pregnancy nausea is that WATER is the food/drink item I tolerate the WORST. A single sip of water can make me instantly throw up. So, since water increases my nausea (*sniff*), I had been taking the diphenhydramine with yogurt. I thought the diphenhydramine had been working a little, but after thinking about it decided it might have been the yogurt, since it’s a nice mix of carbs and protein.

Tuesday I took a few spoonfuls of yogurt every so often instead of diphenhydramine and it helped! The more yogurt I can eat, the longer my stomach feels better (in the morning I can usually only manage a couple bites, since yogurt has a texture that sometimes makes me gag even when I’m not pregnant).

After work on Tuesday, I went to Wal-Mart and bought the right kind of Unisom. It’s truly awesome stuff. I have felt a million times better since I started taking it. If I take it and eat yogurt throughout the day, I feel NORMAL. Not sick at all. Today, I tried taking it without yogurt and that didn’t go as well. I guess I need both.

It’s amazing to me that I can CONTROL the nausea. I will be very surprised if this baby isn’t a boy, because the nausea is a million times better than with Meg. The fact there’s anything that makes a dent in it is a major improvement. With Meg, NOTHING helped. Nothing at all. I tried everything. From the time I was 5 weeks until I was 18 weeks, I felt nauseous every second of every day. Each bite was a major struggle. Anytime I tried to swallow, my gag reflex made it almost impossible. I still can’t believe there are multiple things that make me feel better this time.

P.S. As I mentioned before, I have a unusual reaction to diphenhydramine – it makes me MORE awake instead of sleepy, like it does to most people. The RIGHT kind of Unisom, though, does make me tired. So I started taking it with diphenhydramine and the combo makes me feel great! I find it very ironic that taking one Unisom makes me very sleepy, but if I take BOTH kinds, they cancel each other out and I feel fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment