Tuesday, November 22, 2011

iPod sampling

The other day I was listening to my iPod at work and it seemed every song brought back memories – widely varying memories, too. I have everything from Ludacris to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack on my iPod. Here’s a sample:


Michael Buble, Sway: My husband and I competed in ballroom dance in college (before Dancing With the Stars made it cool). I think this was one of the songs on the practice CD.

Maroon 5, This Love: This makes me think of my freshman roommate. She loved this song and I hadn’t heard it until she started playing it all the time.

Shout: Weddings. Including my own!

Garth Brooks, We Shall Be Free: We have to go to Vegas sometime, if only to see Garth Brooks' show.

Santana & Rob Thomas, Smooth: Our high school show choir did this song senior year. I wasn’t in the show choir, but I was in the jazz singing group. We went to all the same competitions, so after performing, I’d watch all the show choirs perform.

Cotton-eyed Joe: Middle school dances. Was this played at your dances, too, or did we have extremely uncool DJs? I promise it wasn’t a country dance or anything like that. The music was basically all pop (current at the time) and I have no idea why they played Cotton Eyed Joe so much that I remember it.

Also, a much more random memory of that song: hours after arriving in Ireland for a family vacation, my family and I went to a food court to grab dinner. It was late, most of the restaurants were closed (I think everything but McDonalds?) and the only people there were my family and a group of European teenagers who selected Cotton Eyed Joe on the jukebox over and over and over.

Also, do not ask my why this song is on my iPod. I have NO CLUE where it came from. Maybe my husband has a secret side business DJ-ing middle school dances.

2 comments:

  1. Maroon 5 This Love totally reminds me of working out in college. The TV in the gym was always on VH1 and this song was on All. The. Time.

    Cotton-eye Joe, yes definitely all middle school dances, not just yours. And I'm pretty sure it's one of those songs that's snuck onto everyone's playlist at some point or another. It has a will of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cotton Eyed Joe!! Yes they played it at middle school dances and high school ones too. AND at the clubs when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete