Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sleep training

On Sunday, Thomas put his foot down.  He declared babies don't sleep on futon mattresses on the floor of their room.  Babies sleep in cribs and, effective immediately, Meg would sleep in the crib, no matter how many times a night we had to get up and put her back to sleep.  My opinion is, if she'll sleep on the futon mattress, then fine.  At least she's sleeping, which means I'm sleeping.  And hey!  If she loves it, we don't have to buy a toddler bed.  She can just keep sleeping on the mattress!  He refused to change his mind.

So we did it.  It was torture.  But by Thursday night, she would sleep in her crib as long as one of us was laying on the mattress beside the crib.  And yesterday, wonder of wonders, she took a nap!  In her crib!  The heavens parted, the angels sang, and I made myself a latte and watched Friends.  I have grudgingly admitted that maybe Thomas was right.  Meg doesn't like being left alone, but she does sleep better alone.  A lot better.  We all do.  However much Meg and I love co-sleeping, we both sleep better apart.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for staying with it. It's rough, but overall, I think you'll all be happier if she sleeps on her own. :)

    ReplyDelete