Friday, August 13, 2010

Seven State Fair Related Quick Takes

The Iowa State Fair started yesterday!!!  Yay, yay, yay!  My parents get us wristbands for the fair, so we can go as much as we want.  For the next 10 days, I'll be drownding myself in sunscreen and heading to the fair every chance I get!  Although I do have to work next M-T-W:(

1.  The entertainment alone is AMAZING.  Last night the Newsboys and Mercy Me were on the grandstand.  On various free (free!) stages there were:  Lee Greenwood, Davy Jones of the Monkees, the Nadas, and Jake Owen.  All in one night!  (and, unfortunately, all around the same time).

2.  Almost all of the concerts started at 8, but Lee Greenwood was at 7, so we headed over there around that time.  We had tickets for the grandstand at 8, but ended up staying at Lee Greenwood until 8:20, just so we could hear him sing "God Bless the USA."  It was amazing.  I had tears running down my face (that song always makes me cry).

3.  I was not so excited to see the Newsboys, since the description said "With the addition of a new front man, the Newsboys are being 'Born Again'" and I thought, whats the point?  It won't be the real Newsboys.  (and also, what a lame pun - born again?)  But I was pleasantly surprised.  The new lead singer is the old lead singer of DC Talk.  (I listen to country radio, not christain, so I was apparently the only one who didn't know this).  They sang old Newsboys stuff, old DC Talk stuff, and some new stuff that was pretty good.  I felt like I was listening to the soundtrack of high school youth group...weirdly nostalgic for someone who is only twenty-five.  It made me want to go home and bust out the Newsboys greatest hits CD from 10 years ago (if I can find it in the basement...)

4.  Again, I wasn't that excited about Mercy Me (I went to this concert because my mom invited me), but they were great!  I knew more of their songs than I thought, and I didn't realize they were such rockers.  At times (especially with the Newsboys), I thought I was at a rock concert!  I think I ended up enjoying it more than my mom (she thought it was too loud).

5.  It blows my mind that in one night, I saw Lee Greenwood sing "God Bless the USA" and Mercy Me sing "I Can Only Imagine."  And saw a little bit of Davy Jones as we walked from Lee Greenwood to the Grandstand.  Only at the Iowa State Fair!  I am still a bit disappointed I didn't get to see Jake Owen.  Maybe another time?

6.  Tonight I'm going to the Keith Urban concert.  I can't decide whether I'm more excited to see Keith Urban or his opening act, Kris Allen.  I am an American Idol fanatic.

7.  I'm also really excited to take Meg to the fair Saturday and walk around the animal barns.  Last year was her first fair, but she was only 2 months old.  This year will be the first fair she'll really get to enjoy.  I am so! excited!  My husband kind of finds me insufferable during state fair time.  I probably go out to the fair twice as much as he does.  Its not that he doesn't love it, he just thinks a day or two is enough and I drag him out there at least 4 days.  I love having the wristbands, so we can go almost every day for a shorter amount of time instead of thinking we have to go one day and spend 12 hours there trying to see as much as possible on one admission ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment