Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sweater Shaver

Earlier this week Hallie of Betty Beguiles posted her Sweater Care Plan.  I have to say, I generally don't do any of the things she listed.  I've never hand washed a sweater.  Even if a sweater says it's supposed to be hand washed, I generally throw it in the washer on delicate and hope for the best.

I saw, though, she mentioned a sweater shaver for de-pilling.  I've never heard of that.  Once, in a department store I saw some little comb-like thing supposed to remove pills, but it didn't look like it would work.  I had no idea battery-operated ones existed.  She linked to a travel one that was only $6, so I bought it.

It came yesterday.  I have plenty of sweaters that need this, but I figured first I'd give it a real challenge.  I got this sweatsuit for Paul in a box of clothes from eBay.  Both the sweatshirt and pants were covered in little white pills.  The outfit was unwearable.  I thought I should probably just throw it away, but I can't throw away anything ever.  I didn't even take a before shot since I thought nothing could save this outfit.  A sweater shaver might be great but it's not magic.

This is after I shaved half of the sweatshirt.  I was stunned at how well it worked.

After picture:

Have you ever used a sweater shaver before?  I can't believe I never knew they existed.  I assume it's to be used sparingly, since it actually shaves the clothes (duh).  In addition to the little white pills, there was a lot of blue when I emptied the shaver.  I don't care, though.  I'm so excited!  My sweaters are going to look brand new this year.

2 comments:

  1. My Grandma was a HUGE fan. She gave us one back in the 1980s when they first came out; it was called a "Pill Shaver" and I still use it. I'm glad that you've found one.

    ReplyDelete