Monday, January 31, 2011

Quick Takes - what day is it, anyway?

1. I hate re-learning to use things. I pulled out my sewing machine the other day and had no idea how to use it. I then fought with the bobbin for an hour before resigning myself to hunting for the missing instruction manual. I spent half hour reading it before I could fully utilize the machine again. It’s so annoying!

2. I very much dislike it when people write letters to their kids on their blog. (Dear Baby’sName: You’re six months old today!) If you do that kind of thing, I hope your child really enjoys reading them someday. But I don’t.

3. You know what else I don’t like? Posts in bullet point format. I have nothing against writing that way, but when you format the post that way, the text won’t wrap on my phone, so it’s next to impossible to read. This is my phone’s problem, not yours, but it’s still annoying.

4. Whenever a blood drive comes around, I feel an obligation to give. From the time I was in high school, all the way through college I don’t think I missed one (they were once a year at the high school and twice a year at college). I gave the first year I worked at my office. Since then, I’ve been pregnant or breastfeeding and, I have to say, it’s been nice to be able to say I can’t do it and feel no guilt. (Okay, maybe a little guilt while breastfeeding, because I assume breastfeeding moms can give blood with no problem, but I had some supply issues and I didn’t want to mess with it.) I got a reminder for yet another blood drive this week and was excited I had a great excuse for not signing up. I have terrible veins and it always takes FOREVER to get it started. The last time they drew blood at my ob’s office, the nurse tried both arms and had to finally take the blood out of my HAND. The time before that was such an ordeal that I left with a softball–size bruise on my arm. Obviously, when blood donor people are trying to get a whole PINT of blood its worse than when my doctor needs a vial for prenatal testing. They usually poke for a while in both arms, call several nurses over to try, and sometimes even give up. I shudder just thinking about it.

5. We leave on vacation on Saturday and all three of us got sick this weekend. So sick the thought of packing and getting on an airplane seems impossible. At least we’ll hopefully be better for most of the trip. Still, I would have preferred to get this out of the way last week.

6. I almost never turn on my computer anymore. I have my email, feed reader, twitter, and facebook on my phone, so what’s the point? The only thing I can’t do is post here, which is why I rarely do anymore. It seems like too much work to turn on the computer just to write a post.

7. I wrote most of these quick takes at work last week, for posting on Friday, then couldn’t be bothered to turn on the computer and post them this weekend.  Oops.  I'm going to work on that this week. I have a bunch of post ideas and I'm going to try to write AND post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment