Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The endless hair appointment

I haven’t had my hair cut since last September and that was the $9 special at Fantastic Sam’s.  The last time I went to a nice place and got my hair highlighted and styled (as opposed to chopped) was last May.  Eight months ago.  As I put together Meg’s baby book and saw how amazing my hair was back then, I felt the urge to immediately go to the salon.  I don’t care if it costs $200.  I want to look like that!  Plus, if I only do it every 8 months, that’s only $25/month.
Thomas and I both had the day off yesterday, so I decided to just see if they had any appointments that afternoon (I’m incapable of scheduling in advance).  They did!  I figured 2 hours, $200, and I’d look great.  It didn’t quite end up going like that.
My appointment was at 1.  I arrived at 12:50.  My stylist wasn’t ready for me until almost TWO.  By that point I’d read two magazines, cleared out my feed reader, caught up on Facebook, and was seriously PISSED.  My hair was supposed to be halfway done by this point!  My daughter naps from 1-3 and I’d hoped to be home shortly after she woke up!  NAPTIME IS PRECIOUS and I didn’t want to spend an hour of it sitting in a salon bored out of my mind.
The stylist apologized several times and told me how very, very sorry she was and that she was running late because some mom had gotten caught at the pediatrician’s office and was really late for her appointment that morning.  While I agree it was nice she allowed the woman to still get her hair done, I don’t think she should have.  It wasn’t the stylist’s time the woman wasted, it was MINE and I did not appreciate it.  I’d also like to point out they could have CALLED ME to let me know or even told me when I arrived instead of letting me sit there for an HOUR.  I only live 5 minutes from the salon and I would have appreciated the opportunity to stay home until they were ready for me.
I liked the stylist a lot, but she is not a fast worker.  She takes her time and does a really good job – I brought in a picture of myself from last May and she pretty much EXACTLY duplicated the hair, which is what I wanted – but I think she takes a bit too much time.  To highlight and cut my hair took almost 3 hours.  After I’d waited an hour.  I was in the salon until almost five and by then I didn’t really care what my hair looked like.  It looks absolutely FANTASTIC (worth $200), but I’m still trying to determine whether it was worth 4 hours.  4 hours every eight months is not much time to spend on your hair, but the real problem is that I expected it to take 2 hours (like last time) and instead it took double that.  At least it’s done now and I don’t have to worry about it for a while.  I really did like the stylist a lot and I think I’ll give her another shot next time.  Hopefully the wait was a one-time thing.
P.S.  If you want to know what it looks like, just look at my blog banner.  It’s pretty much the same as the picture from my sister’s wedding (the middle picture), except that my hair parts closer to the middle now.  I got the exact same highlights and it’s the same length.

No comments:

Post a Comment