Monday, March 25, 2013

What we ate: 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough, Coconut Bread, Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Coconut Bread

My mom used to make coconut bread occasionally and I'd completely forgotten about it. It is so, so good. This recipe popped up in my feed Monday morning and I happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so this happened pretty much immediately:

Margaret could not understand what on earth I was trying to say about it being kind of bread, but not really and not like sandwich bread. Then she wanted to know what "sort of like cake" meant and after going around in circles about the whole thing for half an hour (what does 'the same shape as bread' mean?) I changed the name to Coconut Cake and seriously, someone else can explain quick breads to her.

2 Ingredient Pizza Dough


There was a war in the comments on this one debating whether you should use 1 cup self-rising flour and 1 cup greek yogurt or 1 cup flour to every 1/2 cup yogurt. Of course, I didn't read this until after I'd made the recipe as stated (1:1). The dough was SUPER sticky, but with my hands all  covered in the gunk I couldn't open the flour canister so just used the dough as-is. I spread it out on parchment paper and it baked up fine and didn't stick. I couldn't really get it to brown, but I don't know if that's because I needed more flour or if that's just what it's like.


The taste was much more flatbread-y than pizza dough-y, which happens to be what I like, so I was happy with it. This would make an excellent party snack/appetizer flatbread with some olive oil, tomatoes, and cheese. You're not going to get a thick takeout-pizza crust from it, though.

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

I looooove Olive Garden's chicken gnocchi soup. BEST SOUP EVER, seriously. A calorie bomb, for sure, but worth it. (Also, I only have it four or five times a year.)

I didn't think I would necessarily be able to make a soup just like it, but I hoped it would be close. It was not. It wasn't even very good. (Sigh. I was hoping it just wasn't Heather's kind of thing and not a bad recipe.) I mean, we ate it. It was a decent dinner. I'm not keeping the recipe for future reference, though. If something is going to call for four tablespoons of butter, four tablespoons of olive oil, and a quart of half and half it better be DAMN good.

It was better the next day as leftovers. Still not fabulous, but better. Maybe the flavors needed longer to come together? Regardless, a quart of half and half means this isn't an everyday meal.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still going to have to try making chicken gnocchi soup - I love that soup. I might try this recipe w/ rotisserie chicken though. I've had decent luck w/ the copykat websites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got all excited about that new recipe, but it seems to be exactly the same as the one I used, except with less olive oil. Our biggest problem with it was, even though I didn't cut any of the cook/simmer times short, it tasted floury. Which I think might be an easy fix of letting the roux cook longer? Or the half and half simmer longer? Something? I'm going to try it again, actually, because I'm still craving it.

      Delete
  2. Like Margaret, I like almost anything better if you call it CAKE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just made me want REAL cake. Quick breads are apparently a gateway drug.

      Delete