Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sleep, or the lack thereof

I’ve thought about posting several times over the last few days. We have tons of Christmas pictures. I want to post about the presents I gave my mom. I have a couple other half-written posts.

But oh my goodness, I am so unbelievably tired. I’m at work this week and I’ve spent the last hour doing pretty much nothing but fighting to keep my eyes open. I want so badly to lay my head down and go to sleep. Paul has been sleeping terribly and is so cranky when awake it’s almost impossible to enjoy having a baby. Or anything, really.

He does have a lot going on. I’ve been blaming most of this on the six month growth spurt and teething. Due to the growth spurt, he wakes up in the middle of the night absolutely starving and has shot right out of size 12 months, which he just grew in to last month. My mom bought him size 24 month bodysuits and they fit. There’s some room to grow, but not a lot. Twenty. Four. Months. At six months old. Then, in addition to waking up every 3-5 hours round the clock to eat, he also has trouble falling asleep because his gums are hurting so badly.*

Today, just for the heck of it I went and reread Moxie’s sleep regression post and realized week 26 is a wonder week, which also disrupts sleep. Apparently his little brain going through a mental developmental spurt and is learning “the world of relationships.” This reminded me physical developmental spurts disrupt sleep, too, and guess what…he’s been working hard at figuring out how to crawl. Oh yeah, and he has pink eye (again). It’s a wonder this kid ever sleeps.

As if this weren’t all enough, tomorrow is his six month checkup and I’m sure they’ll be giving him shots. If you’re looking for me, I’ll either be rocking myself in a corner and mumbling incoherently or on plane to somewhere far, far away. I haven’t decided yet.


*The only thing that’s helped for the teething is this vibrating corn teether my grandparents gave him for Christmas. He loves it. I’m thinking of ordering 12 more.

7 comments:

  1. I sat here for a second when you said that he just grew out of his 12-month clothes and tried to remember how old Paul is ... and then of course I noticed it in the rest of the blog. My son is 16 months and is finally firmly IN 12 months clothes. I always think it's funny when people think he's big because he's so tiny!

    Happy holidays! Here's to wishing for more sleep for you in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is singularly nothing more frustrating about small children than their inability to sleep. (Whining is a close second, but still SLEEP! SO. IMPORTANT!)

    I have nothing super handy to offer other than I hope, hope, hope he sleeps for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sleeping sucks. A huge amount. It's like nothing else matters when you are so tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is no fun. Here's hoping the sleep situation gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is rough. You have my sympathy. Fast-growing boys can be a problem. The Boy was like Paul, in 24 months before he was even a year. I thought he would never sleep and that he would grow out of diapers before he was potty-trained. If it's any consolation, I was wrong on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have slept under my desk at work before. Awkward but refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lack of sleeping makes me batty. I am an awful, awful person when woken up multiple times in the night.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete