Monday, September 13, 2010

Time away

I went to a movie yesterday afternoon, like Thomas commanded me to. It was good, but, as always, the best part was coming home again. It kind of bugs me that I have to miss fun stuff in order to gain appreciation for the fun stuff. When I pulled into the driveway, I could see Meg and Thomas through the window, dancing. When I got inside, they told me they’d gone to the park. It made me sad. I missed fun times at the park, dinner as a family, and a dance party in the (clean!) living room. I was only home for 10 minutes before it was time to get ready for bed:( But as I’d had almost zero “me” time for awhile, would I have appreciated those things if I’d done them instead of going to a movie? I don’t know.

Maybe its because going to the movies didn’t quite turn out to be as awesome as I thought. I went to “The Switch” again, because I loved it so much the first time. It was good, but I guess not a movie you should watch twice in a week. I’d watch it again, but I’ll wait awhile. Its better than “after the first time you’ll never want to see it again,” but not as good as “I could watch it every weekend.” It’s a good once or twice a year, when you’re in the mood for that kind of movie, movie. The biggest problem, though, was what I ate. Turns out eating a large popcorn, half a Lindt dark chocolate bar, and half a large Sprite for dinner is NOT a good idea. It’s an even worse idea to follow it up with some Cold Stone. I came home feeling like I was going to throw up which significantly increased my jealousy at seeing the rest of my family dancing like crazy, feeling good from playing in the fresh air. But I guess you can’t appreciate family life to the fullest unless you get away from it sometimes. I’m glad I did.

P.S.  I finally thought of what I want Thomas to get me for my birthday.  A massage!  I have to get off my butt and schedule it, but maybe next weekend I'll come home from some alone time feeling completely relaxed and healthy instead of feeling like I'm going to be sick.  Yay!

P.P.S.  I still like going to movies.  I just need to eat before I go and skip the concessions.  Sending me to the movies when I feel completely overwhelmed is still a good idea!  Hint, hint!

2 comments:

  1. I so know how this feels. I want to get away sometimes too but then I feel so bad about missing anything! It's so hard. I also feel guilty if my husband has to watch our daughter on the weekend by himself or anything. I don't know why. I never EVER felt this much guilt until I was a mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love movies, but can't stand going to them alone. I can't even fathom it. So when I'm desperate for some "get away" time, my husband either arranges for a babysitter and takes me out or sends me out with my girlfriends. The rare occasions I get "alone time" I either run errands (so much easier without kids!) or go to the library (again, way easier without kids!) but I don't crave being alone, just being with other adults, so maybe that's the difference.

    ReplyDelete