Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 2013 books


I think you've all read this already, but if you haven't, do so immediately. I snort-laughed many times while reading it. I would say it was the funniest book I read this year, but it was also the first book I read this year, so. (That said, there is a ton of swearing, so if that would bother you too much to otherwise enjoy the book, skip this one.)


Apparently I missed this when it came out in 2011. Unfortunately, it seems I didn't miss much. It covered well-trod Grisham story lines (lawsuits against drug companies, small-scale barely-making-a-living lawyers) and I kept having to reassure myself that no, I hadn't actually read this one, it just seemed like it. It was still a decent way to pass the time (I gave it 3 stars), but I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend it.



Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
I'm not sure how to review this book. Clueless but Hopeful Mama recommended it, so I put the both book and movie on my library request list (like an idiot). Of course, the movie came in first and I was charged the DVD check out fee, so I didn't want to return it and get it back (for another fee) after reading the book.

The movie was very confusing. We got none of the back story on...anything, so Thomas and I sat there saying "huh?" a lot. Actors would say something in their "THIS IS SIGNIFICANT" voice and it would never be explained. There were a ton of scenes irrelevant to the rest of the movie which I assume were only there because, if you'd read the book, it might seem weird to leave them out. But we hadn't.

The book is one of those books where if you re-read you understand it a lot better. In that way, it was better to have watched the movie first because I think I was able to enjoy and understand the book much more having already figured out what was going on. (And I don't just mean the major plot point, but all the little ones, too.)

I wasn't ever sure if I was enjoying the book, but I was sad when it was over, so I suppose I recommend it?

Dead Reckoning: Sookie Stackhouse #11 by Charlaine Harris
The perfect thing for a cruise. I read it sitting on a deck overlooking the ocean while eating chocolate chip cookies from room service.

No comments:

Post a Comment