Saturday, December 4, 2010

Always Finishing Things, update

Once I gave up on NaBloPoMo, I really gave up. I wrote this post (at work) last week and couldn’t even be bothered to turn the computer on (at home) to post it. So here it is!

Since I wrote about my inability to quit ANYTHING, including not being able to quit watching TV shows or return a book to the library without reading the whole thing, I’ve been working on it. I returned several books I just couldn’t get into. 5 of them. Before that, I’d only ever returned ONE book I hadn’t finished. I checked out new ones I’m pretty sure I’ll like. It was exciting (I know. Lame.)

I also started skipping the features and/or articles I don’t like in magazines. It especially helps with parenting magazines. Even though I’m having another baby, I have no interest in the articles about babies younger than Meg. I don’t want to read an article about babies’ verbal development (crying-babbling-nonsensical words-real words-sentences). So I didn’t! I read an entire magazine in like 20 minutes.

My TV shows are already pared down, compared to what I used to watch. Back when the season premieres started I decided to not watch Dancing With The Stars. I haven’t regretted it AT ALL. My husband and I were competitive ballroom dancers in college (it wasn’t as dorky as it sounds), so we’ve watched the show since its first season. Until this year, I’d never missed an episode. But for the last few seasons, I haven’t enjoyed watching it. I’d TiVo it and fast-forward through pretty much everything. It took me about 20 minutes to watch an hour and a half show. It feels so good to just not watch it anymore! Besides, if I really want to watch ballroom dancing, DWTS is NOT a good way to do it. I want to see professionals dance with professionals. Actually, maybe next season I should tape the results show just to see the pros…

Also, as sad as I am Law & Order got cancelled, it does make one less show I need to watch. I still have House, Law and Order: SVU, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, The Apprentice (which I haven’t watched it in a month. Is the show over now?), and Modern Family. Is that too many? All of them are on Hulu Plus and I usually watch one show a day during my lunch hour at work. Still, I’m seriously considering dropping Grey’s or Private Practice. If nothing else, so I can start watching other shows. I think I need more half hour comedies. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment