Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's like the first trimester all over again

I’ve never been a morning person and it always takes me a while to get going at work.  I don’t know why they pay me for the first hour I’m there, because I accomplish nothing.  So a couple weeks ago when the first hour started getting even worse and the get-nothing-done period started stretching to two or three hours I thought it was just my body getting worn out/stressed out due to pregnancy.  Then I realized I’d been getting rather lax about taking Unisom at night.  My body had become almost immune to the sleeping pill effect, but apparently it only took a day off here and there to bring it back (I never missed two in a row).  So Monday night I figured no problem, I’m 29 weeks along and haven’t been nauseous in ages, I don’t really need it anymore.  Tuesday morning I felt awesome.  All morning I thought “So this is what it feels like to be AWAKE!  I can’t believe I’ve been trying to work under the influence of a sleeping pill for months!”  I got so much done.  I was a teensy bit nauseous, but food took care of that.

This morning I threw up.  I ate breakfast and still felt extremely nauseous.  I’m almost THIRTY WEEKS, people.  It’s not FAIR.  Why must the only effective non-prescription medicine for morning sickness be a sleeping pill?  WHY? The nausea has gotten worse as the day goes on and by the time I got home from work, just walking in the door and smelling dinner made me come thisclose to puking.

P.S.  Is there any chance this is just Unisom withdrawl?  I know that’s not supposed to happen, but I wasn’t sick at 30 weeks with Meg.  If I stay off Unisom, do you think the nausea will go away?  Or should I start taking it again?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. That's awful. I think I'd be even more bothered by the fact that the sleeping pill effects are lasting that far into your day and you are driving/taking care of Meg, etc. with that slightly out-of-it feeling, etc. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete