Tuesday, April 2, 2013

March 2013 Books

I only read TWO BOOKS this month! Operation: read less books in 2013 is coming along. Unfortunately I seem to have replaced reading time with Candy Crush, so...that's something to work on. Baby steps.


Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir by Kelle Hampton
I am terrible at reading books I own. Awful. I usually have so many library books I struggle to keep up with them and don't read anything else. I pre-ordered this book and received it the day it came out. A year ago. (April 3, 2012) I read a few chapters, but was soon pulled back to my library list and...yeah. Finally finished it this month. The first half was AH-MAY-ZING and the second half dragged. Still a really good book, though. I started reading Kelle's blog around Nella's first birthday, so it was nice to get more of the backstory. (This comes out on paperback today, I think.)


The Last Policeman by Ben Winters
I didn't know enough about this one to be super-into reading it, so it languished at the bottom of the library pile for awhile. I finally picked it up when I couldn't renew anymore and was hooked immediately. I read it in a day and a half and wanted more.

2 comments:

  1. My book club read Bloom last fall and had a Skype session with Kelle. I wasn't crazy about the book, but I liked her "live." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Bloom right after Daniel was born (thank you again for sending it!) and loved it. I cried a lot (I was, obviously, very emotional at the time.) My only hesitation in recommending it to anyone is that I had SUCH a different experience coming to terms with Daniel having Down syndrome. I never felt sad or grieved the baby he might have been. I just felt totally overwhelmed. Anyway, I'll stop because this is your comment section and not my blog :)

    ReplyDelete